Natamycin has been used as a food preservative for more than 30 years thanks to its ability to increase the shelf life of food by limiting its fungal degradation.
Some of the benefits of using natamycin in the food industry are:
- It is an alternative to traditional chemical preservatives, meeting the demand for natural products
- It does not alter the taste of food
- It is effective at low doses
- It is not dependent on pH levels in order to be effective
- It is effective against fungi, unlike sorbates, which only slow their growth
- It does not affect the natural maturing process of food, as it has no bacterial action