- 1 What is Keflex antibiotic good for?
- 2 Is Keflex stronger than amoxicillin?
- 3 What kind of bacteria does Keflex treat?
- 4 How quickly does Keflex work?
- 5 What is Keflex 500mg used for?
- 6 Is Keflex safe for kidneys?
- 7 What is the side effect of cephalexin 500mg?
- 8 What foods should I avoid while taking cephalexin?
- 9 Is Keflex a good antibiotic for sinus infection?
- 10 Is Keflex a good antibiotic for UTI?
- 11 Why is Keflex not recommended for sinus infection?
- 12 Who should not take Keflex?
- 13 Can I take cephalexin 500mg 3 times a day?
- 14 How long does it take for antibiotics to work for bacterial infection?
- 15 Should you take Keflex with food?
What is Keflex antibiotic good for?
Keflex ( cephalexin ) is a cephalosporin antibiotic prescribed to treat bacterial infections. Keflex is also used before dental procedures in patients identified with certain heart-related conditions to prevent bacterial infections of the heart known as endocarditis. Keflex is available as a generic drug.
Is Keflex stronger than amoxicillin?
Is cephalexin or amoxicillin stronger? When dosed appropriately, both antibiotics are effective against their covered organisms. The organism coverage of cephalexin makes it effective in some conditions that amoxicillin is not, including mastitis and bone and joint infections.
What kind of bacteria does Keflex treat?
What Conditions does KEFLEX Treat?
- strep throat.
- strep throat and tonsillitis.
- a bacterial infection.
- infection of the middle ear by H.
- infection of the middle ear caused by Streptococcus.
- middle ear infection caused by Moraxella catarrhalis.
- infection of the middle ear caused by Staphylococcus.
How quickly does Keflex work?
6. Response and effectiveness. Peak concentrations of cephalexin are reached one hour after dosing; however, it may take up to 48 hours before infection-related symptoms start to abate.
What is Keflex 500mg used for?
Keflex ( cephalexin ) is a cephalosporin (SEF a low spor in) antibiotic. It works by fighting bacteria in your body. Keflex is used to treat infections caused by bacteria, including upper respiratory infections, ear infections, skin infections, urinary tract infections and bone infections.
Is Keflex safe for kidneys?
Renal Impairment KEFLEX should be administered with caution in the presence of impaired renal function (creatinine clearance < 30 mL/min, with or without dialysis).
What is the side effect of cephalexin 500mg?
SIDE EFFECTS: Diarrhea, nausea, vomiting, or upset stomach may occur. If any of these effects persist or worsen, tell your doctor or pharmacist promptly. Remember that your doctor has prescribed this medication because he or she has judged that the benefit to you is greater than the risk of side effects.
What foods should I avoid while taking cephalexin?
Acidic foods such as citrus juice, carbonated beverages, chocolate, antacids and tomato-based products such as ketchup can all interfere with drug absorption. Have your child avoid these several hours before and after taking the medication, said Seidman.
Is Keflex a good antibiotic for sinus infection?
Results showed that cephalexin was effective in treating sinusitis and that adverse reactions were rare. Bacteriology results showed that many of the pathogens usually involved in infectious maxillary sinusitis were resistant to the recommended or frequently prescribed antibiotics.
Is Keflex a good antibiotic for UTI?
Keflex belongs to a class of drugs called cephalosporins, which are antibiotics. These drugs are often used to treat infections of the bladder or kidneys. Keflex is used in adults to treat several types of bacterial infections, including UTIs.
Why is Keflex not recommended for sinus infection?
Penicillin, erythromycin (Suprax), and first-generation cephalosporins such as cephalexin ( Keflex, Keftab) are not recommended for treating acute sinusitis because of inadequate antimicrobial coverage of the major organisms.
Who should not take Keflex?
You should not use this medicine if you are allergic to cephalexin or any other cephalosporin antibiotic (cefdinir, cefadroxil, cefoxitin, cefprozil, ceftriaxone, cefuroxime, Omnicef, and others). Tell your doctor if you have ever had: an allergy to any drug (especially penicillin); liver or kidney disease; or.
Can I take cephalexin 500mg 3 times a day?
Dosage. The dose of cefalexin can vary but for most infections you will take 500mg, two or three times a day. The dose may be higher for severe infections and lower for children. Try to space the doses evenly throughout the day.
How long does it take for antibiotics to work for bacterial infection?
” Antibiotics will typically show improvement in patients with bacterial infections within one to three days,” says Kaveh. This is because for many illnesses the body’s immune response is what causes some of the symptoms, and it can take time for the immune system to calm down after the harmful bacteria are destroyed.
Should you take Keflex with food?
Can be taken with or without food. Take exactly as directed and for the duration intended. Do not finish the course earlier than prescribed, even if you feel better because this encourages the growth of resistant bacteria. Do not take Keflex for any other infection other than the one you have been prescribed it for.