- 1 When can I take statins after antibiotics?
- 2 What happens if you take statins with antibiotics?
- 3 What is the potential interaction between macrolide antibiotics and statins?
- 4 Can I take statins with amoxicillin?
- 5 What medications should not be taken with statins?
- 6 What to avoid eating when taking antibiotics?
- 7 Can I take antibiotics and vitamins at the same time?
- 8 Can I drink coffee while taking antibiotics?
- 9 What should you not do when taking antibiotics?
- 10 Why should you not take statins with clarithromycin?
- 11 Can you eat grapefruit with cholesterol medication?
- 12 What is statin toxicity?
- 13 What vitamins should you not take with amoxicillin?
- 14 What drugs does amoxicillin interact with?
- 15 What happens if you take two antibiotics at the same time?
When can I take statins after antibiotics?
“ Statins can be stopped for 5 or 10 days and then restarted when the antibiotic is stopped,” Garg says.
What happens if you take statins with antibiotics?
These two commonly used antibiotics inhibit the metabolism of statins and increase statin concentration in the blood, which can cause muscle or kidney damage, and even death, the researchers said.
What is the potential interaction between macrolide antibiotics and statins?
The interaction between statins and macrolides depends on the type of statin and macrolide used. The mechanism of the interaction is due to macrolides ‘ inhibition of CYP3A4 isoenzyme and OAT1B transporter causing increased exposure to statins.
Can I take statins with amoxicillin?
Interactions between your drugs No interactions were found between amoxicillin and simvastatin.
What medications should not be taken with statins?
Some of the examples of medications which can cause problems include erythromycin antibiotic, certain blood pressure medications, like diltiazem or verapamil, and even some foods, for example, grapefruit juice can cause increased side effects with statins.
What to avoid eating when taking antibiotics?
Dairy products include milk as well as butter, yogurt, and cheese. After taking an antibiotic you may need to wait for up to three hours before eating or drinking any dairy products. Grapefruit juice and dietary supplements containing minerals like calcium may also work dampen the effect of antibiotics.
Can I take antibiotics and vitamins at the same time?
Taking similar vitamin products together at the same time can result in a vitamin overdose or serious side effects. Avoid taking an antibiotic medicine within 2 hours before or after you take multivitamins with iron.
Can I drink coffee while taking antibiotics?
Antibiotics (Quinolone antibiotics ) interacts with COFFEE Some antibiotics might decrease how quickly the body breaks down caffeine. Taking these antibiotics along with coffee can increase the risk of side effects including jitteriness, headache, increased heart rate, and other side effects.
What should you not do when taking antibiotics?
The Do’s and Don’ts of Taking Antibiotics
- Don’t: Drink Alcohol.
- Do: Take your prescription at the same time every day.
- Don’t: Take antibiotics with milk or fruit juice.
- Do: Protect yourself from the sun.
- Don’t: Hesitate to talk to your doctor about your concerns.
Why should you not take statins with clarithromycin?
Statins (atorvastatin, simvastatin ) — these are extensively metabolised by CYP3A4. Concomitant administration with clarithromycin increases the plasma levels and the risk of myopathy.
Can you eat grapefruit with cholesterol medication?
Do not drink grapefruit juice if you ‘re taking simvastatin. Grapefruit juice increases the level of simvastatin in your blood and makes side effects more likely. Atorvastatin interacts with grapefruit juice if you drink large quantities (more than 1.2 litres daily), but an occasional glass is thought to be safe.
What is statin toxicity?
Statins can also cause liver and muscle toxicity. In severe cases, people have developed rhabdomyolysis. This is a rare condition where muscle cells break down in the body. It causes severe muscle aches and weakness through your entire body. It also causes dark or cola-colored urine.
What vitamins should you not take with amoxicillin?
Taking calcium, iron, magnesium, or zinc at the same time as minocycline can decrease the absorption of both the drug and the mineral. Therefore, calcium, iron, magnesium, or zinc supplements, if used, should be taken an hour before or after the drug.
What drugs does amoxicillin interact with?
What Other Drugs Interact with Amoxicillin?
- erythromycin base.
- erythromycin ethylsuccinate.
- erythromycin lactobionate.
What happens if you take two antibiotics at the same time?
There’s an increased risk of side effects if you take 2 doses closer together than recommended. Accidentally taking 1 extra dose of your antibiotic is unlikely to cause you any serious harm. But it will increase your chances of getting side effects, such as pain in your stomach, diarrhoea, and feeling or being sick.